Top 10 things to do when buying a home
Finding your dream home isn’t always easy, but when it happens you want things to move smoothly. BLM Property Executive, Ajda Watson gives you her top 10 things to consider when buying a home.
- Before you find a property to buy check to see how much you can borrow if you need a mortgage.
- Try to actually view properties instead of swiping through images online. You will be surprised at how different properties can look when you actually go and visit.
- If you are a first time buyer check to see if you eligible for Help to Buy or other schemes that could help you financially.
- Once you make an offer and it is accepted make sure you have your paperwork ready in relation to ID for Anti-Money Laundering checks.
- Get a quotation for your conveyancing and make sure the fees cover acting for your lender (if applicable) and completing the stamp duty application.
- Be aware of all the disbursements that purchasing a property will incur and ask for these to be listed in the quotation received for your conveyancing. The main ones being:
- Stamp Duty
- Land Registration fees
- Have a full survey carried out at the property especially if it is an older property.
- Check to see what is being left at the property which is included in the sale price.
- Make your conveyancer aware of any alterations that have been made to the property so relevant enquiries can be raised if necessary.
- Be patient as these things can take time.
Ajda Watson, Property Executive
0207 457 3562
Disclaimer: This document does not present a complete or comprehensive statement of the law, nor does it constitute legal advice. It is intended only to highlight issues that may be of interest to clients of BLM. Specialist legal advice should always be sought in any particular case.